Healthy Recipe: Chicken Piccata
This traditional Italian dish was originally made with veal, but this healthier version made using whole wheat flour, olive oil, and lean chicken breast is just as delicious and is also high in protein!
Author: Francesca Kotomski
- 4 (4-oz.) raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
- 6 Tbsp. capers
- 1 (14-oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag. Add flour and seal. Shake to coat chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Add garlic; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add lemon juice, broth, capers, artichoke hearts, and mushrooms; cook, turning chicken halfway through, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.