By Kathy Smith, creator of Kathy Smith’s Project:YOU! Type 2®
With nine grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber per serving, this soup is rich, hearty, healthy . . . and vegan! Just the thing to help you make it through the last few remaining weeks of winter (if you can trust that Pennsylvanian rodent’s prognosticative powers).
- 2 cups precooked white beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced into medium pieces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium stalks celery, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 to 12 cloves garlic, peeled and trimmed of root ends
- 1 cup cubed squash
- 4 cups spinach (or any preferred greens)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups (64 oz.) vegetable stock or broth**
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt, pepper, and Italian herbs (to taste)
Heat stock. In a separate large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and potatoes. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add greens and sauté for 5 minutes, then add white beans, parsley, and squash and season lightly. Add hot stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until vegetables are fork-tender but still retain their shape. Adjust seasonings. Serves 6.
**For thinner consistency, add more water and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
|Calories||Protein||Fiber||Carbs||Fat Total||Saturated Fat|
|281||9 grams||8 grams||42 grams||9 grams||1 gram|
Bookmark & Share